IRS Can Help if W-2s Are Missing
In most cases you get your W-2 forms by the end of January. Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, shows your income and the taxes withheld from your pay for the year. You need your W-2 form to file an accurate tax return.
If you haven’t received your form by mid-February, here’s what you should do:
- Contact your employer. Ask your employer (or former employer) for a copy. Be sure that they have your correct address.
- After Feb. 23. If you can’t get a copy from your employer, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 after Feb. 23. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. You’ll need the following when you call:
- Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
- Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
- The dates you worked for the employer; and
- An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2014. You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.